Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Foot Washing

Good Afternoon Beloved,

Remember the other day I was telling you about a book by Max Lucado, called 3:16?
Well I am almost finished with the book..Anyway I am reading in the part called 40 days of Devotions right now and I am on Day 25 , called ,Step In The Basin. I found what he had to say
interesting....
In John 13: 1-20, ( about foot washing)
This is before the feast of the passover and supper just ended and the devil
has put into the heart of Judas Iscariot to betray Jesus.. Jesus rises from supper and removes his garment and puts on a towel. He takes a basin and some water and he starts to wash the feet of the disciples and then wipes them dry.. This is the Son of God doing servants work...The Son of God. Now why did he do that?
John 13: 10 KJV
Jesus says to Peter,
" He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
Now in other translations this is what is it saying... and I will paraphrase it..
In the NIV, NLT and NASB it is stated like this:
You had a bath and are clean all over except for your feet... and to be clean all over you need your feet washed. But not everyone here is clean...

So the way I figured it ( I may be wrong) is even after we have be " washed by baptism " we still need to be cleaned. I think maybe the way I figured it is that we are to ask for forgiveness to be cleansed again.
In John 13: 13-15
It talks about how we are to do as Jesus did with this example.
So in the church I attend we do have a foot washing service and we do it with communion after.
If you have never attended a foot washing service I would suggest that you do, it is very humbling. You need to go to the alter and ask forgiveness and ask the person or persons who may be keeping you from feeling truly forgiven to forgive you . Invite them to come to the service also.. It is a time of renewal for you .
We had a foot washing service this month at church and I must confess it was the most humbling one I have ever attended.... It was a real cleansing for my soul..... Someone whom I have harbored angry against was the one who washed my feet this time.... Talk about a soul cleansing service.... this one was. Now before I could go into this service I had to ask forgiveness and I did. I prayed for along time before I could go... Sometimes we hold on to things that it is better for us to let go of... Angry, hurts, jealousy, stress, or anything that keeps you from having peace within your soul..... Peace is so very important.. Even when you have things coming at you from all sides, kids need help with homework, husband wanting something from you, friends calling, your job is pulling at you, bills overdue, no money in the bank, seems like a zillion things at once are pulling and tugging at you and YET you can still have peace....... God is so good.... How do I know you can still have peace? Because I have been there and done that... yet I have peace..... It was not always so but it is now and I Prasie God for it!!! Just remember that a foot washing service is all about humbling yourself... Our Lord and Savior did it and do we think we are too good to do it too? Not this old girl , not anymore.... read John 13:16.
Well til next time... remember to Smile , when you do you are dressed the most beautiful you can be.
God Bless , your friend in Christ Jesus. vickie

No comments:

Post a Comment